Do you have enough information about your patients' symptoms to diagnose HIV-associated wasting?
HIV-associated wasting is not always easy to diagnose. These patient profiles may help you have a more productive conversation with your patients so you can recognize this condition when you see it.
HIV-associated wasting can affect anyone living with HIV, including3:
*These profiles are hypothetical and are intended only to represent some of the possible patient presentations.
Learn more about the many factors in the body that may contribute to HIV-associated wasting.Learn More
- Dudgeon WD, Phillips KD, Carson JA, Brewer RB, Durstine JL, Hand GA. Counteracting muscle wasting in HIV-infected individuals. HIV Med. 2006;7(5):299-310.
- Mangili A, Murman DH, Zampini AM, Wanke CA. Nutrition and HIV infection: review of weight loss and wasting in the era of highly active aniretroviral therapy from the nutrition for healthy living cohort. Clin Infect Dis. 2006;42(6):836-842.
- Tang AM, Jacobson DL, Spiegelman D, Knox TA, Wanke C. Increasing risk of 5% or greater unintentional weight loss in a cohort of HIV-infected patients, 1995 to 2003. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2005;40(1):70-76.
- Chang E, Sekhar R, Patel S, Balasubramanyam A. Dysregulated energy expenditure in HIV-infected patients: a mechanistic review. Clin Infec Dis. 2007;44:1509-1517.
- Wasserman P, Segal-Maurer S, Wehbeh W, Rubin DS. Wasting disease, chronic immune activation, and inflammation in the HIV-infected patient. Trop Clin Nutr. 2011;26(1):14-28.
- Macallan DC. Wasting in HIV infection and AIDS. J Nutr. 1999;129(1S Suppl):238S-242S.
- Ashby J, Goldmeier D, Sadeghi-Nejad H. Hypogonadism in human immunodeficiency virus-positive men. Korean J Urol. 2014;55(1):9-16.
- Deeks SG, Tracy R, Douek DC. Systemic effects of inflammation on health during chronic HIV infection. Immunity. 2013;39:633-645.